Using Rx/tx connectors on a breakout board

Solved
richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

I'm looking for any documentation on how to use the UART serial capabilities on the TE breakout board in orrder to communicate with a BLE radio. It seems like there are libraries for the SPI and I2C, but there is nothing on how to communicate with the RX/TX pinouts on the breakout board.

Ideally I just want to be able to write a proof of concept program for serial communication through the M18Q starter kit, into an Adafruit Bluefruit BLE radio, to the Bluefruit connect app on another device.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

I don't even need documentation, just the command to interface with an individual pin. It's very simple but there doesn't seem to be a *lick* of support for a breakout board that is supposed to be used for exactly this.

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)

Richard
At time of design of the LTE Breakout Carrier, WNC's M18Qxxx host-mode firmware pre-assigned UART1 and UART2 to system functions. ie. Neither UART was available for use with add-on Click boards. For this reason, the TX and RX pins of the two Click sockets were not connected to the M18Qxxx module on the LTE SOM board, they were routed only to an unpopulated 4-pin header (J9)  

The good news is that WNC recently modified their host mode firmware to allow UART2 (previously used for kernel debug output) to instead be available for user applications. To use UART2 with Click boards, connect two short flying leads (approx 65mm length) from TX and RX pins of the SOM's J9 3-pin header (located between Pmod connector and power connector) to the applicable TX and RX pins on the Breakout board's J9 4-pin header.

Note: To use UART2 in user applications, the WNC host mode firmware must be updated to the APSS_OE_v1.05 version (which available on request, - this already provided to your colleagues at M2MD) 

Peter

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)
richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

Hi Peter,

I appreciate the response! To clarify, my use of the LTE breakout board is entirely superfluous, as I really just need RX/TX UART pins on the board. I did not realize that WNC allowed for the reassignment of the J9 connector, however that is very good news, as it simplifies everything quite a bit.

richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

Would it be possible for you to send me the details on upgrading the WNC host mode firmware to the version required?

Email would be great.

richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

Edit** Documentation not needed, seems we already have it as you mentioned.

richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

Also, is it possible to just use UART1 directly off of the Starter kit board without having to use the LTE Breakout board as a middle man? I've been reading documentation, but it seemed like using a UART required a breakout board. If this is not the case, and I'm able to use a UART for user applications, then that solves my problem.

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)

Yes, UART2 can be accessed directly on the LTE SOM (no need for LTE Breakout Carrier)!

The J9 3-pin header on the LTE SOM board provides a level-shifted (3.3V) version of UART2.

J9 Pinout Details:

Pin 1 = TX

Pin 2 = RX

Pin 3 = GND

richardcoffey's picture
richardcoffey
Junior(0)

Peter would you mind clarifying? I was under the impression that you could only use UART2 for user applications after the firmware upgrade... Are you saying that I could access UART2 for user applications from the LTE SOM J9 header on my current V1.0 firmware?

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)

Use of UART2 was dedicated to kernel debug output in previous WNC host-mode firmware versions.

In order to use UART2 in user applications, the WNC firmware must be upgraded to APSS_OE_v1.05

va2ron1's picture
va2ron1
Junior(0)

Hi! How can I request or get the firmware APSS_OE_v1.05?