Modem not connecting to IoT

Solved
vorbeck1918's picture
vorbeck1918
Junior(0)

I am setting up a new AT&T IoT kit. Unfortuantely I am not able to get the modem to connect, the light remains red. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts?.

I have set up each of the accounts (IOT, emBed and Cloud) and logged in and downloaded the appropriate files, updated to the 226 release.

I think I am able to the connect K64 board, but think there might be issues

No response from WNC!
Send: <<AT+CSQ>>
No response from WNC!
Send: <<AT+CPIN?>>
Hello World from the Cellular IoT Kit!

HTS221 Detected (0xBC)
  Temp  is: 79.09 F
  Humid is: 36 %
Si7020 sensor not found
                       Si1145 sensor not found
                                              FXOS8700CQ WhoAmI = C

Modem initializing... will take up to 60 seconds *******************

I then get the following that goes on infinitely - but I have verified my SIM is Active on the AT&T IoT portal

22Send: <<AT+CSQ>>
[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 5,99OK]
[AT+CPIN?+CPIN: READYOK]
Send: <<AT+CREG?>>
[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,3,2C09,0B347108,7OK]
Not connected to cellular network!

rtfromnc's picture
rtfromnc
Junior(0)

I have the same issue. If you figure it out please post what you did. I will do the same if I figure it out. Thanks and good luck!

RTfromNC

vorbeck1918's picture
vorbeck1918
Junior(0)

An update. I did take the AT&T SIM and put in another device, and Arduino with a SIMCOM modem and it came up right away. I could send and receive SMS. It also has a less effectvie antenna, so I think from a SIM and carrier perspective, I am good.

Any suggestions or means to test the K64F or the WNC modem? I have reset and reloaded the most current release (226) and the .bin file for AT&T. I do get the temperature/humidity and "Hello World" after the reset, but then the failure to conenct.

natam9857's picture
natam9857
Junior(1)

I ran into this same issue. I never figured out what the root cause was, but I downloaded/imported the sample source code from the mbed development tool, I compiled it and placed the resulted binary on the mapped mbed USB storage and it worked. Disconnecting and reconnecting power might work too (and use the included power supply)

Sincerely,

Tomi

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi,

The result of CREG 2,3 where the 3 is saying your network registration is denied.  The sim card is only good for the United States and some AT&T towers in Mexico.  A proper response for CREG is 2,1 or 2,5 (1 = registered, home network 5 = registered roaming).

Can't say I've ever seen that before so not sure how to advise right now, will check into it.

Best Regards

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

I am still unclear about all the reasons that you could be seeing unregistered.  But a thought came to mind to ask whether you are using both antennas?

Best Regards

cswiger's picture
cswiger
Junior(1)

I'm getting the same results, no connect - used then Quick Start firmware, then compile and install the example from developer.mbed.org (where is verified apn is m2m.com.attz)  - but also getting the CREG 2,3 -

[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 1,99OK]
[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,3,1704,05611417,7OK]
[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 1,99OK]

I'm in Charleston WV where we use AT&T gsm ok.

cswiger's picture
cswiger
Junior(1)

Ok - got it to work - had the sim in a cheap Chinese watch, which acted like it was working but nothing happened - then found the sim control center / device / diagnose and ran that, said it was on a GSM network, so pulled it and plugged it back in the starter kit, ran diagnose and it came up all green, says it is connected and has an ip address - then reset the board - which was still red -  accidentally by plugging it into my notebook to bring up RealTerm - and then it started working normally, with data showing up in the flow. Great! :)

kirk.d.anderson's picture
kirk.d.anderson
Junior(0)

I'm also having this problem.  After boot, the mulicolor LED remains red and the terminal outputs this continually:

------------ software_init_mdm! --------->

[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 14,99OK]

[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,3,0412,00F3120A,7OK]

[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 14,99OK]

[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,3,0412,00F3120A,7OK]

I am updated to the most recent base board firmware and have activated/provisioned the SIM and followed the whole process laid out in AVNET's getting started guide.  

miforreg's picture
miforreg
Junior(0)

I have updated the firware in the baseboard and also the cellular shield.   My rolling screen is very similar to what is listed in tihs post:

[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 12,990K]          * note, value will change from 12,990, to 13,990k, to 14,990k over time
[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,3,6A2C, 07F99816,70K]

Any similar situations and suggestions for resolution?

Thanks, Mike

cswiger's picture
cswiger
Junior(1)

Mind stopped initializing the modem completey after briefly working - support led me to updating the Cellular Shield firmware which totally fixed it:    https://starterkit.att.com/tutorials/cellular-shield-firmware-upgrade

That was not on the quick start card or the more detailed getting started guide.  

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Just FYI, The 14A2A doesn't use GSM only LTE, it cannot fall back to 3G it is LTE cat 1 only.

I do not believe the problems listed here are all due to the same issues but it is good that people are sharing what worked for them.  I think the first thing to check if you are not able to get the proper CREG response (which I outlined in an earlier post) is to check your SIM card setup with AT&T and make sure your using the SIM that came with the kit.

The new shield firmware has been released along with new libraries.  This new firmware mainly fixes an issue where the 14A2A would go to sleep (for no good reason) and never wake back up and no longer respond to AT commands.  There have been some other minor enhancements.  I recommend the upgrade, especially if you are planning to use the new mbed WncInterface class which is pretty much a drop in replacement for mbed's v5 EthInterface.

Please see the new firmware topic just posted in this forum for more info!

Best Regards

cswiger's picture
cswiger
Junior(1)

Thanks - since you mentioned it :)  (this should be in the software forum however) - is the WNCInterface preferable to the one in the out of box demo Avnet_ATT_Cellular_IOT , that uses wnc_control.cpp and cell_modem.cpp ?   

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi,

The WncInterface is a near drop in replacement for mbed's EthInterface C++ class.  You can start with a program that uses EthInterface and then easily swap classes and have it use the WncInterface and the 14A2A for your internet data.  Or you could take a program that is using the WncInterface and pretty easily swap back to EthInterface to test it somewhat, without using up all of your SIM data.  It is not better than the original code it is for different applications.  If you want to have additional raw control and feaures over the original out of the box code for the 14A2A then use WncControllerK64F library.  Or if you're happy with the out of the box demo source code and it does all that you want, then continue to use it.

Best Regards

miforreg's picture
miforreg
Junior(0)

Basic question - I just noticed this thread is marked "solved".  I posted a request for help here earlier today, do I need to create a new thread that is "not solved"?

Thanks, Mike

miforreg's picture
miforreg
Junior(0)

On the "IoT kit not connecting" issue, I sent an email to Cisco - Jasper support and their response was that my APN was not set to "m2m.com.attz".     They provided an AT command to set the APN, but I would have expected the demo program to already have this APN set.

AT+CGDCONT?  should query the device for APN

AT+CGDCONT=1, “IP”, “m2m.com.attz” – will set the APN

Can you direct me to where in the configuration of the demo that I can check and change this APN setting? 

Thanks, Mike

miforreg's picture
miforreg
Junior(0)

Update... Not sure if what I did was the most efficient solution, but I used the WNC Connection Manager to program the APN and the kit is now connecting and the initial program appears to be operating correctly.     Looking at Tera Term (serial monitor port), I see normal commands; led changes color from magenta to turquoise when board tilted; data being uploaded.   Looking at ACC (ATT Control Panel), I can run diagnostics and confirm connection.  Use Spotlight and other tools to monitor traffic.

Mike

I

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

You can find the APN setting in the config_me.h header file from the source code for the out of the box demo.  Found here: https://developer.mbed.org/teams/Avnet/code/Avnet_ATT_Cellular_IOT/

To find where it is actually setting it, search for MY_APN_STR.  This should lead you to wnc_control.cpp where in the software init function it unconditionally sets the APN.  The only thing I could see preventing the setting would be an extroidinarily long time for the APN setting to take effect, the code currently waits for 40 seconds.

Best Regards

miforreg's picture
miforreg
Junior(0)

Thanks for the informationon where the APN is defined and initialization attempted in the code.   I'll look at this if I have any additional issues connecting.   As of now, I connections have been working on every attempt after I used the WNC Control Panel to set the APN.   

Mike

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Mike, I believe you, I have seen it do even stranger things but you are the 1st to make it known that you had to do this; if there are others I hope they make it known also.  Thank you for sharing your experience!  Fortunately most people as far as I know did not have to do this.  If I could observe this happening I would have saved the serial debug output log and studied that, it shows the commands that are being issued and also the modem responses.  There is non volatile memory in the 14A2A, the latest WNC 14A2A firmware update was primarily to correct this memory having some incorrect settings.  It is possible your bits were in a different random state than most of the other kits.  I believe the WNC Connection Manager may be issuing an ATZ (I am speculating here) which resets some of this memory while our own mbed firmware takes a gentler kinder approach to setup.  At the time when we wrote our software we didn't know why it was acting strange in other ways and when the problem was finally understood, the fix became to upgrade the firmware.

Best Regards,

-Fred