Migrate 1st gen M14A2A from LTE to LTE-M

Solved
Anubus's picture
Anubus
Junior(1)

The Avnet M14A2A Cellular Shield from the 1st gen starter kit should be able to connect to the LTE-M network right?  It has been working well on the AT&T LTE network but I wanted to try taking advantage of the better coverage and penetration claimed for the LTE-M network.  I've updated the WNC shield with the LTE-M firmware, version NQ_MPSS_IMA3_v10.58.174043 and that completed successfully.  I have changed my AT&T subscription from the AT&T IoT LTE US Data Plan to the AT&T IoT LTE-M US Data Plan.  So far I have not been able to get it to connect.  Has anyone tried this switch over? Is there a way to tell if AT&T made the switch?

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

Did you resolve this issue?

Anubus's picture
Anubus
Junior(1)

I did not.  Instead I switched back to the standard LTE network.  However, I would like to try again if you have some suggestions about what to try....

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

I wonder if you have LTE-M coverage in your area. I know that there isn't universal LTE-M support in all AT&T towers. Can you verify LTE-M coverage in your area?

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

were you able to verify LTE-M coverage?

treii28's picture
treii28
Junior(0)

Be aware they have two different firmware sets. One for standard LTE and one for LTE-M. I wasn't aware what the latter was at the time I first got my dev kit and hopped back and forth between the two until I got one working. (LTE with the initial card)

I hadn't done anything with it in a while and AT&T tried to sell me on an LTE-M card instead. I'm still trying to get it to connect after switching the firmware. (it didn't connect before switching either btw)

from the firmware update guide:
"LTE VS LTE-M FIRMWARE
All the kits listed above, except the last one, AT&T IoT Starter Kit (LTE-M), are shipped with the
Cellular Shield pre-programmed using LTE communications mode. This wireless connection is
similar to LTE cell phones, letting you communicate almost anywhere and everywhere.
The last kit listed above, AT&T IoT Starter Kit (LTE-M), uses the same Cellular Shield hardware,
but its firmware runs the cellular modem in LTE-M mode. This new protocol, first launched by
AT&T in May 2017 is focused on lower data rate IoT communications. LTE-M provides extended
range – deeper into buildings and basements – versus LTE while using less power. Unlike other
IoT oriented LPWAN (low-power wide-area networks), LTE-M is already supported just about
anywhere in North America where you can use your LTE cell phone.

[..]

LTE-M firmware: NQ_MPSS_IMA3_v10.58.174043.zip
LTE firmware: CM_MPSS_M14A2A_v11.50.164451.zip

"