Lots of problems - similar to ones others are having

Unsolved
majorninth's picture
majorninth
Junior(0)

I started out with the out of box demo reflashed per the instructions. Upon powering up the board would refuse to connect with any device.

Looking deeper into the operation showed that the server appeared not to be starting up even though the SSID was being broadcast and 5 bars of signal.

Reseting multiple times would sometimes (once in a blue moon rather than every now and then) get the server to startup add show the connection information.

Starting WICED v3.5.2
Platform BCM94343W_AVN initialised
Started ThreadX v5.6
Initialising NetX_Duo v5.7_sp2
Creating Packet pools
WWD SDIO interface initialised
WLAN MAC Address : B0:38:29:43:C0:3F
WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Nov 25 2015 12:57:14 version 7.45.45.1 (r602358) FWID 01-1920c040
 Please wait, connecting to network...
(To return to SSID console screen, hold USER switch for 5 seconds during RESET to clear DCT configuration)

<HANGS HERE FOREVER>

--------------------------------

<WHEN YOU GET LUCKY>

IPv4 network ready IP: 192.168.0.1
Setting IPv6 link-local address
IPv6 network ready IP: FE80:0000:0000:0000:B238:29FF:FE43:C03F
Config SSID : WICED_AWS
Password    : 12345678
IP Address  : 192.168.0.1

At this point it would not connect to my laptop (WIN7), but it would connect to my phone and then allow me to bring up the webpage.

Eventually I gave up on trying to get this sequence to be reliable and baked in the connection parameters and certs per tutorial 2 (tutorial 1 missing this information).

Now I'm having problems with the certs:

Starting WICED v3.5.2
Platform BCM94343W_AVN initialised
Started ThreadX v5.6
Initialising NetX_Duo v5.7_sp2
Creating Packet pools
WWD SDIO interface initialised
WLAN MAC Address : B0:38:29:43:C0:3F
WLAN Firmware    : wl0: Nov 25 2015 12:57:14 version 7.45.45.1 (r602358) FWID 01-1920c040
 Please wait, connecting to network...
(To return to SSID console screen, hold USER switch for 5 seconds during RESET to clear DCT configuration)
Joining : SI-02
Successfully joined : SI-02
Obtaining IPv4 address via DHCP
DHCP CLIENT hostname WICED IP
IPv4 network ready IP: 192.168.8.78
Setting IPv6 link-local address
IPv6 network ready IP: FE80:0000:0000:0000:B238:29FF:FE43:C03F
[MQTT] Connecting to broker 54.85.255.214 ...

Thing Name: kit_b9yoh
Shadow State Topic: $aws/things/kit_b9yoh/shadow/update
Shadow Delta Topic: $aws/things/kit_b9yoh/shadow/update/delta
Reading the certificate and private key from DCT...
[MQTT] Connecting to MQTT Broker...

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(16)

Sorry to hear of your negative experience thus far.

From those last couple of MQTT connecting to broker messages, what I would suspect here is that you were not connected to the US East (N.Virginia) region when you created the Thing and Certificates in the AWS IoT console.       

For more on this topic, see my comments in the following forum posting:
http://cloudconnectkits.org/forum/topic/faqs-not-connecting-mqtt-broker-why-does-location-aws-iot-server-matter

majorninth's picture
majorninth
Junior(0)

Actually the last problem was caused by not doing a clean build after baking in the new certificates. The dummy cert object files were still in the build directory.

I think the dev team needs to take a closer look at the problems everyone seems to be having with the server starting up for configuration (my initial problem posted). One I get past this problem things work, but if this is not resolved I will probably have to move on to a different radio for our product. Will there be a firmware update in the near future?