IMPORTANT: WINDOWS 8/10 USERS

Solved
LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE THE K64F WITH WINDOWS™ 8/10 WITH STORAGE SERVICES ENABLED!  DISABLE WINDOWS™ STORAGE SERVICES ON WINDOWS™ 8/10 BEFORE PLUGGING IN K64F TO A PC!!!

Explanation: A bug in older versions of the ARM™ bootloader firmware can cause the K64F board to have corrupted flash and become unusable until a JTAG device is used to reprogram.  For more info see:  https://os.mbed.com/blog/entry/DAPLink-bootloader-update/

Once NXP™ version 0243 (or later) K64F firmwares (BOTH bootloader and DAPLink must be upgraded) are programmed into the K64F, it should be safe to use Windows™ 8/10 with or without Storage Services enabled.

Workarounds:  1) Do not use Windows™ 8/10 with firmware older than 0243.  2) Disable Windows™ Storage Services before plugging in the K64F board.  3) Upgrade the firmware to the latest on the NXP™ website with Windows™ 7 before using Windows™ 8/10 if you are not able or want to disable windows storage services.

cornilov's picture
cornilov
Junior(0)

any changes?

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi, No changes, the problem can only be fixed by upgarding the firmware with Storage Services turned off.  There is no other solution, until boards start being released with new firmware from the NXP factory.  Our inventory for the cellluar kits is still shipping old boards, there are no plans to re-program them with new.

I did add a link to more details.

Best regards

Anubus's picture
Anubus
Junior(1)

Can the bootloader and DAPLink be upgraded without resorting to JTAG? Have you guys got a link that might show how to do it?  Finally, do you know how to confirm storage services are turned off in Windows 10?

Anubus's picture
Anubus
Junior(1)

Well, I followed the  https://os.mbed.com/blog/entry/DAPLink-bootloader-update/ link you provided and, with egg on my face, I see it answers all my questions.  Boards updated.  Thanks and glad it did this before Storage Services bricked them!