Getting error: WNC Module IS NOT initialized (00)

Solved
milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

My k64f cannot connect to WNC modem, getting WNC Module IS NOT initialized (00) error.

Also, my Mac is not recognizing USB/serial (both USB connected to the modem, the power and the USB). My other WNC modem works just fine with the same exact setup. Could be the shield hardware issue? 

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi,  Hopefully we can get this figured out.  Were you able to upgrade the modem firmware?  The firmware doesn't fix that problem but I'm after if that much worked OK, that can tell us a bit more about your hardware.  Follow the instructions exactly, it only works on a PC, run the drivers and install with Admin privileges.  https://starterkit.att.com/tutorials/cellular-shield-firmware-upgrade

Best Regards

milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

Thank you for your quick reply. I was not able to upgrade the modem firmware. The problem is that when I connect the second USB cable to the USB 2.0 port, nothing happens, the COM port doesn't come up. The modem is powered up, the green LED is on. I tried several PC and Mac computers, same thing. Again, the second K64F that I have connects just fine. 

Thank you

milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

Thank you for your quick reply. I was not able to upgrade the modem firmware. The problem is that when I connect the second USB cable to the USB 2.0 port, nothing happens, the COM port doesn't come up. The modem is powered up, the green LED is on. I tried several PC and Mac computers, same thing. Again, the second K64F that I have connects just fine. 

Thank you

milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

@LightCollector, it looks like my K64F is not faulty. How can I return it or replace it?

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi, Thanks for trying some things, sorry for the lag here I have been traveling and we lost electricity and Internet for 4 days last week.

Just to be clear, you will not get a usb serial port without installing the wnc drivers and there is only support for Windows for those and their connection manager.  The install process for the Windows software is a bit convoluted but has worked for many.

Were you able to find the att firmware upgrade instruction and firmware files? To return the kit you need to try to contact where you got it from, if that doesn't work out, let me know.

Best Regards

milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

I have WNC driver installed on a windows machine. One module that I purchased before is working just fine, but the other not. So the issues is with the module not drivers. How can I replace it?

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

I answered how to replace it the previous reply, you'll have to contact who you got it from first.  If that doesn't work out or you have further questions let me know.

Best regards

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi again,  I don't know if it really matters but what firmware are you using when you get this error?  I assume the error is being output the K64F freedom board serial debug?

Thanks

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi again,

I suspect maybe, just maybe it has to do with setting the APN?  Not 100% sure.  That error you reported comes from the WncInterface class so you must be using that.  In the example code it doesn't set the APN, it assumes it is set already.  You need to look at the class method for init() and you will see a default of NULL for apn.  You should set this to "m2m.com.attz" and see if that doesn't fix your problem?  That would not explain exactly how 1 of your 2 are working.  I apologize for taking a while to get to this point, the light bulb just came on when I realized you were getting an error from some part of the driver that I didn't write, your initial comment of 1 worked 1 didn't threw me off until another user posted the same problem yesterday.

Best Regards

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi,  were you able to make progress on this?

Best Regards

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi, just making the rounds again.  I feel bad that I haven't been able to get your problem solved here.

Hopefully no questions means you figured it out, if you get a chance, please update with what you found the trouble to be?

I don't think my prior answers are your problem I had time tonight to look at some of the code, if you get back (000) that means it didn't power up correctly.  So your modem could be bad or perhaps more likely not powered correctly.  If you have an alternative 2.4A 5V power supply can you try that with your board?  You should peer into WncInterface and the init function a bit and see what else it tells you, there is an option to turn on debug to come out the K64F main serial port, you would need to pass in a pointer to a MODSERIAL serial port init method and then use ::doDebug with 1,2 or 3.  The comment is wrong for the init function about the debug arg.

Best Regards

milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

Sorry I missed your reply,  haven't got any email notification that a new message was posted in this tread. 

I tried many different options with power and different computers, it's the same every time. Tried to contact AT&T where from I purchased the starter kit, but not reply from them. 

Thank you anyways for keeping an aye on this tread. I appreciate it.

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi,  Have you tried using the same SIM that works in the other board?  If you were able to upgrade the firmware, that indcates at least part of the M14A2A is functioning but it is a different path during boot up to initiate the serial UART, the 000 indicates it didn't respond to the 1st AT command within the alloted time, I think the example mbed programs wait for 45 seconds.  Normally, the 14A2A takes about 30 seconds to respond to AT commands.  When you run your program is it waiting at least that long before it returns the 000 ?

I will contact somebody at ATT and see if we can get this resolved.

Best Regards

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi, Help is on the way!  ATT heard about your issue and Avnet is working on getting you an RMA to return your kit.  Avnet sells the kits direct and ATT sells the kits direct but they all come from Avnet's warehouse, I have always been told that when a customer has an issue to have them first try to contact whom the order was placed through, sorry it took so long.

They are going to send your board to me so I can take a look at it.  If it is a software problem I will make sure I let you know.  If your new board doesn't work for you, then let's try to get together in a Webinar or something and take a very close look to try and figure it out for you.

Another thought came to mind: if you are using WncInterface make sure you pull it from the tagged version, do not update everything to the latest when you pull down, that will generally always cause problems, not our fault that this doesn't always work (pulling the latest), its the way the mbed version control works and how the other libaries our source uses is managed.  Again for your case, since you got one board to work and I'm assuming they both had the same firmware, it seems like the hardware has an issue.  Another person posted similar problem well after you did but they are not replying back on the forum and only had one board, so we don't know what the other issue is.

Best Regards

milenkobeslic's picture
milenkobeslic
Junior(1)

Thank you for following up! Yes, ATT reached out and the replacement board is on it's way and I'll send the old one back.

personone's picture
personone
Junior(0)

Hi, I am having the same problem: WNC Module IS NOT initialized (00).

AWS IoT SDK Version(dev) 1.1.2-

Using #defines in aws_iot_config.h and certs from certs.cpp for AWS config.

Init sensors...

Init interrupts...

Net Boot...

Booting WNC modem...

...Using Avnet Shield and AT&T wireless LTE

Toggling Wakeup...

Toggling complete.

WNC Module IS NOT initialized (00).

ERROR: DHCP failed.

Running Out-of-Box Function (alternate demo).

Connecting...

Connecting with a3twzydgtaxcr2.iot.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

ERROR:  failed

! mbedtls_net_connect returned -0x1

ERROR: ...TLS Connect failed, return error

ERROR: Error(-3) connecting to a3twzydgtaxcr2.iot.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:8883

Set Auto Reconnect...

READY TO PUBLISH! Press SW3 button to publish current data.

aws_iot_mqtt_yield() NETWORK_ATTEMPTING_RECONNECT

--> sleep (attempting to reconnect)

We have other two boards that are working fine with the same firmware version (both NXP and WNC got updated). The only difference we noted is that the ones working are from a S/N G21PG5xxxxxxxx while the falty one has a S/N G21PG47xxxxxxxxxx

Also how can I try setting the APN value to "m2m.com.attz" as mentioned above?

Thank you.

personone's picture
personone
Junior(0)

Also, running the Flow and M2X tutorial I am getting this (showing that the APN is setup correctly but the socket does not seem to be calling as expected):

Send: AT

[ATOK]

Send: ATE1

[ATE1OK]

Send: AT%PDNSET=1,m2m.com.attz,IP

[AT%PDNSET=1,m2m.com.attz,IPOK]

Send: AT@INTERNET=1

[AT@INTERNET=1OK]

Send: AT@SOCKDIAL=1

[AT@SOCKDIAL=1ERROR]

[32mModem RE-initializing...[39m

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi, Sorry you are having trouble with this.  I would suggest that you return the bad board while you are within the return window.  It seems likely (since the other 2 boards are working) it is a hardware problem.

Best regards