Failure of out-of-box AWS IoT Shadow App

Solved
PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(14)

*** Note! *** The kits ship with the AWS IoT Shadow application pre-programmed into flash memory. Failures have been reported in current batch of kits with this out-of-box application. To remedy this, a commandline batch program is provided to reprogram the kit to this default application. Contact your Avnet FAE for further information.

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(14)

The Avnet BCM4343W IoT Starter Kit's platform files are available for download from:
https://github.com/CloudConnectKits/WICED-SDK-3.5.2_Platform_Files 

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(14)

Download link for command-line batch programmer.
https://github.com/CloudConnectKits/Default_AWS_IOT_Shadow_app_reprogrammer 
(Use to reprogram kit back to default AWS IoT Shadow application)

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(14)

Please note! The command-line .bat file programmer has been updated (on 2/27)

pihlung's picture
pihlung
Junior(2)

I have reflashed my bcm4343w with v.2 ( The bat file was updated 1/27 not 2/27) and restarted the board, but still can't see WICED_AWS on WIFI list on my PC.

"----------------------------------------------------"
" Avnet BCM4343W IoT Starter Kit Programming Utility "
" Reprograms IoT Starter Kit with AWS IoT Shadow App."
" Erasing MCU Flash and programming 3 files..."
" Erasing SPI flash and programming 2 files..."
" Re-programming of MCU and SPI Flash completed!"
" Restarting the board ..."

How is the BCM going to connect to the internet if my PC is connected to it as a wifi client? Do I need to install something else not mentioned in the Quick Start instructions?

Thanks

rafaelcds's picture
rafaelcds
Junior(0)

Hello Peter,

I'm getting the following errored log ouput when running that .bat on Windows 7. Is there any step that I'm missing beisdes just downloading and running that?

Here's the log:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0-00030-g2491426-dirty (2015-10-29-23:01)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
    http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'
trst_and_srst separate srst_nogate trst_push_pull srst_push_pull connect_assert_srst
adapter speed: 1000 kHz
adapter_nsrst_delay: 100
jtag_ntrst_delay: 100
Warn : target name is deprecated use: 'cortex_m'
jtag_init
Warn : Using DEPRECATED interface driver 'ft2232'
Info : Consider using the 'ftdi' interface driver, with configuration files in interface/ftdi/...
Error: unable to open ftdi device: device not found

Thank you

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(14)

It appears the USB JTAG driver on your computer has not installed correctly.
You can check this using Windows Device Manager...

Note: You need to have WICED SDK (3.5.2) installed on your computer for this USB JTAG programming to work.

Regards
Peter

robertwray's picture
robertwray
Junior(1)

Hello Peter, I am having the same issue. Out of the box failure. When I power up the device both the 3V3 and the JTAG light come on but I can't see and SSID called WICED_AWS

I Don't fully understand how to reinstall the firmware. I'm running on a MACBook air and don't have access to a Windows box. Can you explain in more detail on how we go about reinstalling the system on our Avnet BCM4343W.

Thanks,

Robert 

pihlung's picture
pihlung
Junior(2)

I have followed the instructions for reprogramming the flash, but my BCM4343W board is still not showing up in my PCs wireless list. Could anyone that got it to work by reflashing the board with ver 2, tell me what they did in details? And does anyone have the number/email of a FAE, please? 

Thanks.

Pih

hatfieej's picture
hatfieej
Junior(0)

I followed the instructions on updating the driver and trying the flash tool.  Still no success. I notice that there only appears to be a driver for Win32.  Maybe that's part of the issue.  I'm on Win64.

pihlung's picture
pihlung
Junior(2)

Install WICED-SDK-3.5.2-IDE-installer.exe because besides configuring an eclipse-like IDE, it also installs the usb driver that enables the pc to “talk” to the BCM4343W board.

From unzipped Avnet IoT Starter Kit App Reflash v2 folder, run the batch program from cmd prompt or just double click bat file from explorer: Now it takes ~1min to reflash, instead of 1-2 seconds :)

aws_iot_shadow_prog.bat will reflash the BCM with AWS shadow program and also put board in softAP mode so that it will show up in PC wifi list as WICED_AWS.

Thanks Peter Fenn for your help!

aab142's picture
aab142
Junior(0)

Where can I get the "WICED-SDK-3.5.2-IDE-installer.exe" file?  I think that I'm having the same issue. Thanks!

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(14)

I highly recommend that you refer to the Installation Tutorials when setting-up your development environment:

http://cloudconnectkits.org/forum/topic/installation-tutorials