Cannot connect 2nd Gen

Solved
Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

My 2nd Gen kit will not connect to the AT&T network.  The yellow light continues to blink with the board outside in an area of good service.

I ran the diagnostics on the simcontrolcenter site, and it passed 'provisioning', 'sim/device' and 'network connection'.  It failed 'ip/internet', with the suggestion that it is an APN or ip address issue.

There are no published directions that say what to do, and I've spent hours trying to find someone at AT&T that knows what a starter kit even is.

My understanding is that the board should connect to the network and end the blinking yellow light without any extra setup, if the sim card is registered, which it is.

I am in Florida in the USA, so it is not a Mexico AT&T tower issue. 

The sim card was included in the box; I punched it out of the card so it wasn't used before or borrowed from someone else.

Any ideas?

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

The AT&T account is set up.  The sim card is registered and installed.  I powered up the board and yellow light continues to blink..  I went to the control center, devices, clicked on the iccid for my sim card.  It comes up, says "no results available" under 'connections' and 'connection history'. 

For details it has the iccid, msisdn, primary imsi, sim status is 'Activated'.  In session is 'No'.  IMEI is blank.

Diagnosis comes up Passed, Passed, Passed, Failed.

Spotlight says 'APNs' is 'm2m.com.attz'

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)

Two suggestions:
1. Verify you've not switched the GPS and LTE primary antenna connections!
2. Send your SIM's ICCID number to the email address you were contacted from earlier (I will check the SIMs status with AT&T)

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

I double-checked the antenna connections; don't have a good way to post a picture but the single diversity antenna is connected to 'div', the GPS to 'GPS', the LTE to 'main', only interesting thing is that the LTE and GPS leads end up being crossed over with the board upright and the printing showing on the antennas.  That's all per the pictures in the quick start and hardware pdf's.

I'll send the iccid.

I spent time in the knowledge base with 'imei apn' and on spotlight.  I sent an sms message which spotlight said was received; also the stop location signal which spotlight said was received and which showed up as a dot on the bargraph.

Yellow light continues to flash.

There's a website to validate imei numbers; said to call 800-331-0500; took a while but they said both the sim and the imei numbers were ok but it's the wrong department to connect the two.

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

Pretty much gave up on this now.  The chat person wants me to open a ticket and include my email but the system won't allow '&' (as in AT&T) or '@' as in my email address.

They can come pick up the board with the blinking yellow light.

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

I'm assuming at this point that my board (hardware and/or software) is defective.

Can anyone tell me that they ordered one of these kts, activated the sim card, powered it up, got connected, pushed the user button and data was sent to the dashboard?  Without any other problems?  Do any of these work correctly right out of the box?

jn4847's picture
jn4847
Junior(0)

I had the same problem.  Turns out the APN is not set properly.

You will have to install the SDK and connect to the debug console then will need to manually edit the configuration to change the APN.  There's a .bat file in the main directory that is used to change the APN but it won't work so you have do all of that stuff manually.

I've got connected but still can't get any data out of the thing.  

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)

Note! Some 2nd Gen Starter Kits have been reported where the APN was not factory-configured to m2m.com.attz. If your board fails to connect to the AT&T network and you suspect an APN issue, then use the following procedure to reprogram the APN setting on your board:

1) Install the WNC USB driver (M18Q2_driver_1.0.8.exe)

2) Download and extract a copy of ADB (Android Debug Bridge) to your work folder, make sure to also copy the WNC provided security key (adbkey.pub) to your Windows .android folder

3) Download program_apn.bat from https://github.com/Avnet/M18QxIotMonitor 

4) Launch this from Windows commandline as follows:  program_apn.bat US

The APN setting in the /CUSTAPP/user/mm_conf/malmanager.cfg file will now be m2m.com.attz

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

Got an email message from AT&T (6:13am this morning--Sunday!  but they don't answer chat messages outside of 9-5 M-F) suggesting maybe "the sim was not attached to a current data plan".  So the initial included data plan has no data?  But if they fixed this, it didn't affect my kit, I still have the blinking yellow light.  I put it all back in the box again

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

I received a replacement kit today.  Transferred the original sim card to the new board, connected antennas, powered it up.  Got a green light in about a minute so it appears to be working.  So it appears that either the hardware or software on the original board was defective. 

So my observation is that if you don't get a green light on the board brand new out of the box, get a different board; it's not worth the time and effort trying to diagnose what's wrong.

Thank you Peter for trying to help. 

PeterF's picture
PeterF
Moderator(15)

Thanks for the feedback. You should see the following:
Power LED: Green continuously
WWAN LED: Yellow continuously (after board registers with network)
User LED: color sequence according to the app

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

So the device seems to connect, but the "dashboard" at marketplace.att.com/amoc/devices/gsk/register doesn't show any data.  Yes, I set up the device with the serial number from the box (twice, there are two different device id's on my list now, neither of them get data, nor does the original device number from the original (apparently defective) board.  The diagnostics and spotlight shows that the device is sending data somewhere.  It says the device received a test sms message.  Doesn't do any good because it doesn't say where the sensor data is being sent.  Went to the at&t knowledge data base (there is no help from at&t) and the AES-ATT-M18Q2FG-SK-G (this starter kit) is not on the approved list of devices, something close, an M1-? is. 

Could someone please take one of these kits out of the box and connect it and activate the sim card and push the user button and say that they actually got sensor data transmitted as in the quick start guide?

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(2)

Can you send me your email so we can talk through the issue, thanks Jim (james.flynn@avnet.com)

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(2)

An abreviated answer:

There is a new version of iot_monitor application at https://github.com/Avnet/M18QxIotMonitor/releases that may help.  I have tested it with M2X but cannot say it works with AMOC.  You need to do the following to see if this helps:

1. Download the new version of iot_monitor for github
  2. Git clone the Avnet WNCSDK (git clone https://github.com/Avnet/AvnetWNCSDK). You need this to get the ADB security key adbkey.pub; alternatively, create an adbkey.pub file with the contents of this file)
  3. Install ADB on your PC
  4. Put the adbkey.pub file in your android directory
  5. Connect the SK2 to your PC and verify ADB connectivity by issuing the command “adb devices” and verify that it is found
  6. Push the new version of ito_monitor to the SK2, ‘adb push iot_monitor /CUSTAPP/iot/iot_monitor’
  7. Make iot_monitor executable, ‘adb shell “chmod +x /CUSTAPP/iot/iot_monitor” ‘
  8. Create an M2X account if you don’t already have one at http://m2x.att.com
  9. Login to your M2X account and navigate to Manage (top right corner area), select “Account Settings” and find your MASTER KEY.  Copy this Master Key.
  10. For your terminal window that has ADB installed/verified.  Execute iot_monitor quickstart, ‘adb shell “/CUSTAPP/iot/iot_monitor –q5 –a <<MASTER KEY>>” ‘

This will cause the iot_monitor to begin running and it will contact M2X looking for an account to match the master key.  When it finds it, iot_monitor looks for a device with the ICCID as the serial number.  If one isn’t found, it will create it, assign the Serial Number to be the ICCID of the SIM card that is being used, and will name it “Global Starter Kit“.  It will also create 5 data streams (ADC, TEMP, XVALUE, YVALUE, ZVALUE).  When the user button is pressed it will load the reading into these data streams and will also upload the current GPS LAT/LONG reading that are obtained.  It will load values to M2X each time you press the USER button.  If you hold the USER button down for >3 seconds, the application will terminate.

Hana4's picture
Hana4
Junior(0)

Per the quick start guide I'm not supposed to have to reload any software.  It's supposed to send the sensor data to the amoc site based on the quick start guide once I push the user button.  That would prove that the board works before any more time is wasted reprogramming things.  The first board never got off the blinking yellow light and no amount of reloading files seemed to help it, so I really don't want to start reprogramming this one without knowing that it functions first.

I just re-read the factory test document and it makes no mention of connecting to the amoc site, just getting a valid IP address.  Have you ever tried the process in the quick start guide?

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(2)