AT&T IoT Start Kit wont connect to ATT network

Solved
dwhansel's picture
dwhansel
Junior(0)

Hi, I'm a complete novice here so I apologize in advance. I purchased an ATT IoT starter kit and followed all the intructions and was successfully seeing messages in flow. I put the project aside for a few days and now it will not connect to the ATT network. I have tried several things including working back through the kit instructions, replacing K64 firmware, order of connections to boards, etc. Unfortunately still not working. Again, I am on a steep learning curve right now, so I am likely missing something simple but I have no idea what to even check. 

Here is what I see in the terminal monitor:

It repeats forever...Please let me know any suggestions

------------ software_init_mdm! --------->
Send: <<AT+CSQ>>
[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 16,99OK]
Send: <<AT+CPIN?>>
[AT+CPIN?+CPIN: READYOK]
Send: <<AT+CREG?>>
[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,0,1235,09FADF10,7OK]
------------ software_init_mdm! --------->
Send: <<AT+CSQ>>
[AT+CSQ+CSQ: 16,99OK]
Send: <<AT+CPIN?>>
[AT+CPIN?+CPIN: READYOK]
Send: <<AT+CREG?>>
[AT+CREG?+CREG: 2,0,1235,09FADF10,7OK]

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(2)

Hi, I would like to confirm that you are running the same firmeware that you originally ran sucessfully with on the kit and have not updated the WNC firmware. Basically, if I understand what you said:

1) you initially ran the kit successfully

2) a few days later, you ran the kit with the same software & configuration and it didn't work

I just want to make sure you haven't changed any of the environment it was running in.  I want to be able to replicate your setup so I can try and duplicate the error locally.

Thanks, Jim

dwhansel's picture
dwhansel
Junior(0)

Jim, I am running Avent_ATT_Cellular_IOT version 83:55778a2 plus my config_me changes. I can't say for sure this is version I was based off of originally, but I hadn't changed anything when it stopped working. I went back and found this version and applied my same config changes to it while debugging the connection issue. Again, I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the hardware, I have just done something without realizing it.

Does updating the K64 firmware also update the modem board firmware?

thanks again

Doug

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(2)

Updating the firmware has been reported to cause problems.  What version did you put in it, did you program it from a Windows 7 machine or something else.  When you upgraded the firmware, did you remove the WNC shield from the K64 board?

kevinkeryk's picture
kevinkeryk
Moderator(0)

Hi dwhansel,

I see the condition that you first mentioned when the shield is not power sequenced before the K64.  For best results, I usually power the LTE shield first and then the K64.  Occasionally, when the pair of boards power up and get stuck in this non-responsive state, I usually power everything down for 15 seconds before trying again and that usually resolves this behavior where the module gets stuck in a non-responsive state.

Best Regards,

-Kevin

dwhansel's picture
dwhansel
Junior(0)

Well, this is pretty embarrassing but I feel like I need to post this to resolve the thread. I had never registered and activated the SIM card that came with my kit. I'm still not clear on how it ever worked, but I'm certain it connected the first time out of the box. Anyhow, it is working now. Thanks for all the help.