ATT development board does not produce data

Solved
Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Enormously frustrated. Have followed all instructions but can't get starter kit to work. The development board indicates connection to ATT network but no data flows from the development board. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

kevinkeryk's picture
kevinkeryk
Moderator(0)

Hello Idencia,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficutlties getting up and running with your kit! 

The out of box application was intended to make this getting started experience go smoothly and I would like to find out more details on what went wrong to make your experience deviate from what we expected.

Can you tell me more about the troubleshooting steps that you have taken already?

Best Regards,

-Kevin

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Kevin,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Originally, I had to update the firmware, which I did successfully. I then followed the instructions to the letter in the Start-up Guide to compile and install the software to operate the board. All necessary tailoring to the URL address for the server and device, as well as the device name, was entered correctly. When I rebooted the board, it took a little while for the blue light to appear indicating connection to the ATT network, but it did. However, the light did not change and I could not see any activity in my terminal emulator.

I will say that I did upload the compiled software a few times to the board. Could it be that this created the problem? Do I need to clear the board first?

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff Pollock

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

Hi Jeff, when you  say "However, the light did not change and I could not see any activity in my terminal emulator.'" this occured even when you pressed the user button?  BTW, you will not see any activity in the local terminal that is attached to the SK2, the activity will only be seen on the M2X web-page.

The initial OOB program shouldn't require anything but power for running.  It sounds like there was a configuration issue as shipped but you were able to get it to connect to AT&T (hence the BLUE LED).  After that, you should be able to press the USER button and cycle the LED through the colors.  If you are on the AT&T M2X website, you should see sensor data being posted.  Can you confirm for me that this is not the case.

Thanks,

/Jim

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Jim, thanks very much. I did not press the user button so I will give it a try. I didn't see any instructions to do that as I recall. Do I need to press the user button each time I want to collect data or just once? Thanks again.

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

Regarding that last post, can you please let me know which kit you are working with the Starter Kit (http://cloudconnectkits.org/product/att-cellular-iot-starter-kit) or the AT&T IoT Starter Kit (LTE-M) (http://cloudconnectkits.org/product/att-iot-starter-kit-lte-m).  My last comments were with regard to the LTE-M kit which are not applicable to the first Starter Kit.

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Jim, we are working with the LTE-M kit. Thanks, Jeff

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Now it's even worse. For some reason the modem will not connect to the ATT network now. I've done nothing different. Little help, please?

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

Jeff, did it quit working after you updated the firmware?  Are you running on Windows 10 or 8 or someother platform? Updating while running on Windows 10 has issues noted in http://cloudconnectkits.org/forum/topic/important-windows-810-users.

When you power-up, are applying power first to the shield board then to the K64 board? Can you send me the Link you are using to build and load on your board so I can try and reproduce the problem locally.

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Jim, thanks again for your help. Actually, it did not connect to the network last night when I was working from my home in NH but it is connecting now that I am at work in MA.  Seems like ATT might have better coverage here. So, now the problem is the original one. There is no activity. When setting up, I noticed that the illustration Device Serial for the kit was 'vstarterkit001' and I've noticed that in other references. The name mine was given was 'starterkit001'. Could that be the problem?

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Jim,

API activity indicates that the calls are being made and reports a status of 200. Does this provide a clue? Is there anything I can send? Thanks.

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

If it is reporting a status of 200, then the M2X site is receiving the data and ackowleging it. So if the data is being received and acknowedged, the question is where is it being displayed at. I assume you have steped through the out of box kit, registered on the M2X/FLOW web-sites, and can find the virtual device you are transmitting to.

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Correct. I have done/can do everything you suggest. Still no data that I can see.

Idencia's picture
Idencia
Junior(1)

Sorry, this is not solved. I've not been able to get to this lately, in part because I don't know what to do.

The API log reports a 200 status for only Humidity values. Yet the M2X shows no stream for Humidity or Temperature. The Heat Index has a couple of values but no trend on M2X.

The light on the board is blue, never turns another color.

Can someone please provide some insight? Seems like this should not be so hard.

jflynn129's picture
jflynn129
Moderator(4)

The two questioni to answer are (1) is the hardware working; (2) is the AT&T web-site working.  I suspect the hardware is working, but to provide that you can load the project at: https://github.com/Avnet/M14A2AGTTS_Example and compile/run it.  This program uses the M14A2A to send data to httpbin.org via HTTP and HTTPS. It will verify that the HW is working correctly or not.

Once you confirm the HW is working correctly, we can get AT&T involved to work through the FLOW site issues if necessary.

BTW, the program mentioned above can be built from either the MBED-CLI or the on-line program.  If you build it using the on-line program at mbed.com, there will be no configuration necessary, just import the program and click compile.  If you use the mbed-cli, see the readme for instruction on how to build it.  Let me know how this works for you.