Accessing Modem Shield Board Debug Info from Dev Board

Solved
tdkit's picture
tdkit
Junior(0)

Hello, I am working on a project with the IoT starter kit that requires the ability to analyze the logging info that the WMC Shield board puts out. I know that this information is available over USB from a desktop computer (if plugged into the shield board via USB), but I was wondering if this information would also be accessible to the FRDM-K64F, either through the pins connecting the board and shield, or if it is possible to connect the modem to the dev board via their micro USB ports. My goal is simply to be able to record log messages and issue AT commands directly to the modem from the dev board, however that is possible. Thank you for your help.

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi tdkit,

I am not sure which debug information you are interested in.  When the shield is connected to the USB port there is an AT command serial port and an additional serial port as well as a cdc_ether device.

The AT commands can be sent to either the USB serial device or through the UART pins as used by the K64F.  The information on the other USB serial device (the non AT cmd one) is not and will not be available on the UART pins nor the AT USB serial device.

I'm not sure which information you are after but the AT commands themselves can be used to configure and read the settings from the 14A2A. 

Regarding the K64F, you would need a host mode driver for it in order to be able to have it use the USB devices on the 14A2A.  In the recent past I looked into this for mbed and there were no drivers available.  There might be non mbed drivers from NXP or other parties for the K64F but I was constrained to use mbed and did not pursue that.  Any other device that can act as a USB host to serial ports can be used, including Raspberry Pi (see our LTE Add On Kit documents).

Best regards

tdkit's picture
tdkit
Junior(0)

Thank you so much for your help! Namely, I was interested in the raw cellular logging information from the modem. Specifically, I am looking for the sorts of messages contained in table four in the following paper (on page four): https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/chunyi/pubs/mobicom16-li.pdf Do you know if these would be accessible via AT commands, or would they only be available via the additional serial port you had mentioned earlier?

tdkit's picture
tdkit
Junior(0)

The types of messages I am looking for are also listed here http://metro.cs.ucla.edu/mobile_insight/msg_type.html . Do you know if accessing this information would require any sort of command, AT or otherwise, that would place the modem in a debug mode or something equivalent? I've plugged the modem into my computer over USB and I am successfully able to issue AT commands and receive responses (via GNU screen) on one of the serial ports (/dev/tty.usbmodem1413 on my mac). However, I do not see the logging information I previously mentioned I was interested in, though I am unsure if this is because I am on the wrong port or because there are simply no log messages being generated (due to lack of network activity for example). The other two serial ports are both blank on GNU screen. Do you know if this debug information would go over the same serial port as the AT commands, or would it go the second of the serial ports you had mentioned (with the third being the cdc_ether device)?

LightCollector's picture
LightCollector
Moderator(20)

Hi,  Some of those metrics are available through the AT commands.  There is no debug log that can be enabled on the other usb serial port that I'm aware of.

You can find the AT cmd documentation under the LTE-M firmware section on ATT's website: https://marketplace.att.com/quickstart

Best regards